Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hot Stuff, Stockwell

I had wanted to visit Hot Stuff for quite a while and yet I didn't see how I would ever persuade anyone to make the trek to the backstreets of Stockwell.  But then it turned out that one evening my friend and I would be both be in the vicinity and wanting a cheap meal.  Perfect.

I called the day before to book for a Tuesday night and they could only offer me a table for 2 at 7pm or 9pm and when we arrived at 7 I could see why.  The place is tiny and it was packed out.  The clientele looked entirely out of place for the locality as well, which goes to show that it really is a destination restaurant.  

We had poppadams first with some lovely dips, then vegetable samosas and for main we shared a chicken korma and a chicken tikka makhani with pilau rice and a paratha.  Delicious.  Everything had a rich flavour, not oily and not sweet, and the rice was light and and fluffy.

The service too is fantastic - uber friendly and easy going.  It's BYO and they were straight over with glasses.  At the end of the meal the owner comes over and mentally tots up your bill.  We will be back, in a flash, and would make a special journey any day.

Two courses: £9 per head

Value: 9/10

Service: 9/10

Atmosphere: 6/10

Food: 8/10

SCORE: 32/40

Hot Stuff, 19 Wilcox Road, London, SW8 2XA.  Tel: 020 77201480.

2 comments:

Douglas Blyde said...

With such low prices and free corkage, are you sure it wasn't all a dream?

Browners said...

It's a great place Douglas, and no mistake. I am in need of a return.