Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Alma, Wandsworth Town

For a lazy Saturday lunch with a friend staying for the weekend we had planned to try The Waterfront by Wandsworth Bridge. However, when we arrived there were signs announcing a private function and no food was being served. This ended up with us eating in The Alma's beautiful garden.

My boyfriend and friend both chose the burger with brie and bacon, whilst I had the feta salad with avocado, new potatoes, roasted peppers and olives. I was really looking forward to it but was disappointed - the lettuce was bitter and the dressing very bland. There was quite a generous amount of cheese but not many potatoes and the green olives were pitted but the black ones still had stones in. l had a terrible case of food envy seeing the creamy brie melting on the thick, juicy burgers (cooked exactly to order). Luckily I was able to finish Al's gorgeous skinny fries.

In contrast to the mixed success with food, the service was brilliant. From the moment we arrived our waitress was friendly, professional and helpful. She happily provided bread with my salad, which we weren't charged for, which was incidentally a selection - some with rosemary, some with nuts and all very good. I would certainly give it another go and I know my boyfriend can't wait to go back.

One course and a cocktail: £17 per head

Value: 6/10

Service: 9/10

Atmosphere: 8/10

Food: 6/10

SCORE: 29/40

The Alma, 499 Old York Road, London, SW18 1TF. Tel: 020 88702537.

No comments: