Wednesday, August 13, 2008

All Bar One, Battersea

I would never generally choose to eat or drink in an All Bar One.  This isn't because they are unattractive, quite the opposite in fact they often have some of the best locations and buildings around.  It is mainly down to the fact that they are overpriced and full of people who haven't got enough imagination to go anywhere more original.

But now I am going to have to eat my words - literally.  I had a very excellent burger in All Bar One on Northcote Road.  I eat out on this road often and its restaurants are far superior to its bars hence we met here for drinks and then couldn't be bothered to move.  Our seats were low leather stools, the table one at the archways.  It was a warm night and it was a good spot, watching the world go by outside.

We ordered from the bar food menu and it didn't take long to arrive.  The staff are friendly enough here but they are slow and fairly incompetent when it comes to making drinks, knowing their menu and processing cards etc.  The burger, though, made up for this - it was a tasty bread bun, a big juicy burger and plain fresh salad.  It wasn't the most adventurous meal I have ever had but it was competent and the chips were good too - skinny fries, actually, and a generous portion.

I stick to my guns about the chain in general though - here it is a pleasant bar and setting but spilt drinks and old napkins are left on tables and a beggar was allowed to wander around and pester customers.  Still, I have had worse nights.

Two gin and tonics and a main course: £17 per head

Value: 7/10

Service: 5/10

Atmosphere: 6/10

Food: 7/10

SCORE: 25/40

All Bar One, 32-34 Northcote Road, London, SW11 1NZ.  Tel: 020 78019951.

No comments: