Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Sun and Doves, Camberwell

I was a little disappointed that by the time two friends and I wandered down to The Sun and Doves on a Sunday evening they had already run out of roasts but it was hardly surprising: this is a lovely pub inside, lots of tables, light, relaxed and with a mixed clientele.

The do a BBQ menu in the summer which we were invited to select from.  There was a variety of meat/fish/veggie options and they serve your selection with a mixture of the day's salads (which you don't choose yourself).

My salmon was a decent portion and there was a great deal of salad.  The fish was plain and tasty without sauce but the dish became a little repetitive with a huge mound of raw cabbage, coleslaw, new potatoes and green leaves.  It actually sounds blander than it was but I thought for the price I could have had a bit more zing.  My companions' meals were better - a steak and Guinness pie was very tasty with a big side of fat chips and a vegetarian option (which I afraid I have forgotten) went down well.

A nice big glass of red wine rounded off the weekend.

One course and a glass of wine: £14 per head

Value: 6/10

Service: 8/10

Atmosphere: 7/10

Food: 6/10

SCORE: 27/40

The Sun and Doves, 61-63 Coldharbour Lane, London, SE5 9NS.  Tel: 020 77331525.

No comments: